Monday, May 17, 2010

Rewrites or "What do mean the first draft isn't perfect?"

I got some notes on my script, "A Happy Reunion" and while they were exactly what I needed, they are still hard to hear or read in some cases. In particular, the script lacks dramatic tension. Most of the conflict that rises is solved too quickly usually within the same scene. I knew this was a problem but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I've never really done much rewriting other than editing spelling and grammar before so this whole thing is sort of new to me. It isn't easy but like one of my commenter said, "If this was easy then everyone would do it."

I'm slowly picking away at things but it is still hard not to be discouraged by learning things need work.

3 comments:

  1. Looking at my NaNo project with a critical eye made me realize that my heroine's perils are pretty much all in her head, which results in much the same thing. Nothing really exciting happens to her because I couldn't bring myself to really screw her life up. I'll be needing to do something about that too. --hroswitha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I made my Rom-Com too fluffy and happy. How is that for a problem?

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I tend to like fluffy and happy too. It's one of the reasons that I Like romances where the romance is the secondary plot rather than the main plot. Avoids having to insert those often fake seeming "big misunderstandings".

    ReplyDelete