Thursday, May 6, 2010

Musings on Writing

So yesterday morning I was trying to go to sleep after the husband's alarm went off at 5AM, I started thinking - more specifically solving plot problems. I solved the issue that I had given up on months ago with my spec Leverage episode. I had so many problems that I just shelved the project so why did I sudenly solve the problem? I have no idea. I have put the solution into practice yet but I will when I finish this post. Not only did I solve the Leverage problem but I mapped out the last act of the current Rom-Com (and no it isn't one of the three I listed on this blog earlier this year.)

Speeking of those- I finished "A Happy Reunion", at least enough to enter it in to contests. I entered it into the Austin Film Festival Screenplay Competion, The AAA Contest run by Creative Screenwriting Magazine, and the Nicholl Fellowship. I should hear back from those between August and October.

I also entered the CyberSpace Open run by Creative Screenwriting Magazine. That was a fun little contest. They sent out a scene premise at 5pm Friday and a 3 to 5 page scene had to be uploaded by 9am Monday. I managed to upload by 9pm Sunday night only to discover two little mistakes a couple hours latter. I expect to hear the results from this round late next week or early the week after.

It was this scene that prompted the new Rom-Com "You Belong With Me". I had so much fun writing the one scene that the whole plot popped into my head and now, three weeks latter, I have 65 pages written with a good idea of where the next 25-30 pages are going to go.

Of course the general productive nature of my writing has been inproved in the month of April by the annual Script Frenzy challenge. I wrote my 100 pages with 56 from "You Belong With Me" and the rest broken up between unfished Spec TV episodes- one of which is an original pilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment