Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Quest #2 progress

So pursuant to Quest #2 - The quest for an agent- I'm working on revising A Happy Reunion. This is the completed Romantic Comedy (or RomCom as the industry calls them), as opposed to the 2 uncompleted RomComs.

Anyway the consensus of my writer's group is that I fail in the Comedy part of RomCom. So how to punch it up? I really want it to be funny and not turn it into a drama as one person suggested. (They also suggested I focus more on a minor plot point of a minor character but I think that was because that plot point struck a little too close to home for them.)

So how to make it funnier without just adding a lot of jokes? I need to make the dialouge snappier and wittier. The other thing is I need to round out my characters more. They are too one diminsional. I also got the critisism that I have little conflict and what I have is resolved too neatly. (This is one of my problems with the Twilight books and I hide my head in shame that I have fallen into that trope.)

2 comments:

  1. Feel free to send it to me for any comments/critiques that you may need. Or just use me as a sounding board. I understand what you are saying-- I've held off putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard, as is more correct) because I am not sure of my characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary. When I get it more plished I'll take you up on that.=)

    ReplyDelete